Wednesday 11 January 2012

Education secretary to overhaul ICT curriculum. About time.

It's been a while, but I'm back.


Changing secondary school ICT to computer science - fantastic idea. It's too late for me, but will actually INTEREST the younger generation, not bore the shit out of them. The teachers are bored of teaching "this is an input device, what is an output device?" and honestly, the kids don't care. One tiny problem that the exam boards and schools will need to overcome - are the teachers qualified?


Many teachers come from a computer science background, others don't. Others may come from networking backgrounds, for example. But, because they have been teaching the same repetitive thing from the exam boards every year, change may be great, but do they remember it?


I, personally, would have loved to write code for webpages in year 7 (age 11), but it was only briefly touched up when I came to year 11, aged 16. I coded an entire website from scratch using notepad (my internet connection was too slow to torrent Dreamweaver), all the HTML was self-taught. We were doing the now-defunct (and waste of time) GNVQ ICT. I haven't coded until this year when I came to university and I can now write small web applications using VBScript. I'm 21 and just started an access couse. I got very poor grades in A Level Applied ICT because, okay, one or two parts of it I found interesting, but the rest was fucking mind numbing. 2000 words on why online shopping has boomed in the last 10 years... you might as well have given me vodka and sleeping pills.


Michael Govee has given this country one thing that it needed. For once, a Tory policy I agree with that wasn't thought of by the rather money-hungry David Cameron who has cut everything you can think of from education police budgets. Although, I suppose this one won't cost the Government anything, just the exam boards and schools (councils).

No comments:

Post a Comment